Tracking Digital Ads – Live 2022 (Now On-Demand)
(Purchasing now will give you access to on-demand recordings and resources)
Digital ad platforms like Facebook and Google have made advertising more affordable and accessible. But just because it’s easy to run ads, doesn’t mean measuring them is a piece of cake. This course will prepare you to successfully track your advertising and get more results and a better ROI.
If you work in marketing, you’ve probably heard this adage: “Half of the money I spend on advertising is wasted. The problem is I don’t know which half.” It’s an often-repeated quote for a reason. Even today with digital advertising channels providing more data points than we could ever monitor, determining whether a campaign is really driving donations or new leads – and at what cost – isn’t easy. It requires setup work, an understanding of the data, and staying on top of developments in the field.
This class will give you the technical background to understand what buzzy terms like “remarketing” and “third-party cookies” mean. It will also provide the practical, hands-on experience you need to set up tracking for your digital campaigns.
5 weekly classes, 50 minutes each
Tuesdays, April 26th – May 24th, 2021 @ 3ET / 12PT
Class 1: The basics of ad tracking
- How has going digital changed ad tracking
- Different types of digital ads and what we measure for each
- Using ad metrics to make decisions about your ads
Class 2: Cookies and future of ad tracking
- How do cookies work?
- What’s the difference between first party and 3rd party cookies
- Is privacy the future? How and why ideas about online privacy are changing
- How businesses and non-profits are responding to changes
Class 3: Cross-channel tracking:
- How do you measure ads when you are running many types at once?
- How to use campaign tagging to track different ad channels
- Intro to different measurement models: first click vs. last click
Class 4: Remarketing and cohort tracking
- Retargeting/remarketing? What does it mean?
- What to consider when setting up a remarketing campaign
- Intro to cohort tracking
Class 5: Use Google Tag Manager to track website conversions
- What is Google Tag Manager? How does it work
- Use GTM to track conversions on your website
- How to test your tracking
- Overview of more advanced tracking and resources